How walnuts can help you keep your new year’s resolution.
While more than half of us have made health related resolutions to exercise more or eat healthier, by the time Valentines day comes around, 80% of us have failed to stick to our goals.
So why is it so?
A 2016 study found that enjoyment was the most significant factor in whether we stick to our resolutions. It seems, if we get immediate rewards from new habits, we are more likely to stick to them.
When it comes to exercising, we get a reward via the release of endorphins, but this tends to be short-lived due to the aches, pains and fatigue that follow. Exercise is a stressor which increases the production of damage-causing free radicals. But, by adding antioxidants, either from food sources or supplements, the negative effects can be reduced.
Walnuts contain nutrients that help reduce workout stress
A recent study showed that consuming walnuts is a great way to reduce oxidative stress from workouts. This means by adding walnuts to your diet you can push through the recovery phase quicker, repair lean muscle faster, allowing you to repeat your exercise sooner, and stick with your goals longer.
Here are 5 simple tips on how to sneak more walnuts into your diet, suggested by award-winning writer and nutrition consultant Elizabeth M Ward MS, RD.
- Start with breakfast. Instead of cereal, mix a handful of crushed walnuts and honey with plain low-fat yogurt.
- Include them into side dishes. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on cereal, low-fat ice cream, sauteed vegetables, and salads. Or stir them into cooked rice, whole-grain couscous, or chicken salad.
- Add them to a smoothie. Blend one medium ripe frozen banana, 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt, and 1/4 cup walnuts in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Munch on them while watching TV. Snack on walnuts instead of chips and cookies. Combine them with whole-grain cereal and dried fruit for a healthy trail mix.
- Dip them. Dump 1 cup chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 2 cloves peeled garlic, and 2 tbsp canola oil in a blender or food processor, and chop until smooth. Use it in place of fatty cream-based dips.
Looking for more inspiration? Check out more delicious recipe ideas visit our website.
Where to find our Australian walnuts
Our Australian walnuts are available through Woolworths National Distribution sold in the Produce department, under Woolworths Select. Or you can get in touch with one of our wholesale & retail customers direct using our Stockist finder.
Find out more
For the latest in the world of walnuts, click through and subscribe to our blog.